The Rule Book (The Rule Breakers #1) by Jennifer Blackwood
Starr Media Second-Assistant Survival Guide
1. Don't call your hot boss the antichrist to his face.
2. Don't stare at hot boss's, um, package or his full sleeve of tattoos. (No. Really. Stop!)
3. Don't get on the malicious first assistant's bad side.
4. Don't forget to memorize the 300-page employee manual.
5. If you value your cashmere, steer clear of boss’s dog.
6. Boss’s dimples are lust-inducing. Do. Not. Give. In.
7. “The elevator ate your clothes” is not a valid excuse for showing up to important meetings half dressed.
8. Don't break seven of the rules within the first week of employment if you, ya know, are in dire need of money to support your sick mom.
9. Whatever you do, don’t fall for the boss. See rule eight about sick mom.
10. Never forget the rules.
The Rule Book was such a great read! I loved Lainey and Brogan and it was so much fun (and funny! which is hard to find for me).
Lainey just started working at Star Media as second assistant. She needs this job. She cannot mess up as she needs the money to help her mom. So she is determined to make it here and follow the rules. The super long list of rules that she received on the first day. Only in that first week she breaks so many of them in hilarious ways. Including calling her boss, Brogan, the antichrist to his face. Of course she didn't know it was him, but oh the humiliation. I loved Lainey so so much. She doesn't stop to think before she says something and she was fun. A bit snarkey and the situations she gets herself into were awesome.
I was expecting Brogan to be the typical alpha male head of the company. The guy who is gorgeous and controlling and all caveman like to his lady. Only he wasn't. He was gorgeous for sure (with tattoos even!!), but he is a nice guy. A really sweet, nice guy who is determined to have his company succeed. He is strict with work things, but outside of that pretty laid back. And I loved him too. Sure he has some trust issues, he can be a bit crazy with the rules at work, but he is doing it so he can hopefully succeed. I understand and man I don't know how you wouldn't fall for him. His employees love him, he is so kind and caring, he was great.
Now there is an attraction between these two right from the start, but nothing can happen there. It is one of Lainey's rules for sure - no sleeping with her boss. She needs this job. Only when they start spending more time together things get a bit sticky. I mean how could this work? And what will happen when a few kinks get thrown into the mix? When real feelings get involved?
"He was everything I could ever want in a man. He didn't complete me, because hell, I was complete to begin with, but he was the perfect compliment, one that I'd be hard pressed to find in someone else."
Seriously this book was a lot of fun to read and I can't wait to read more from this author.
The story was cute and sweet and funny and everything I could want in a story. So. much. fun!
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★1/2